Monday, January 31, 2011

Peace Blooms




I get many compliments on the modge podge hand trees I made in our living room. I wanted to try this project again and trees are kind of my fave.

This winter I cut oodles of snowflakes out for the windows with Cricut Winter Lace cartridge. One of the flakes I loved is a peace sign flake. Then I thought- Hey! Those could easily become leaves!

I pulled out a previously painted green canvas and loads of scrapbook paper. I had my heart set on the owl paper for my tree so I tried to coordinate to it.



I cut flakes in sizes ranging from 3 inches to 6 inches. I arranged some on the canvas and realized it was way too busy! The peace sign and patterns were a jumbled mess.

I tried it out with just one patterned scrapbook paper at a time. I decided to go with the "flower power" paper. Its less busy and from a distance you can still make out the flowers.

The rest of the snowflakes went into the craft stash with a few ideas. Oh no this is not the end!

We've got the top part all ready! Next, is the trunk. I was going to trace my hand making a peace sign as the trunk. But, I wanted to try to fit it in with The CSI Project Typography challenge. My idea was to have the tree roots "sprouting" from the word PEACE.
Not really sure it's typography, but we will see if they remove me :)

I considered trying to cut with an xacto knife out of paper, but trying my hand at painting seemed more doable.

Look at my $5 craigslist paint stash! I pulled out some brown, antique white, gold, and black.

Now, keep in mind this is my first time painting! I painted out PEACE, the roots and trunk. it looked ok.

I went ahead and glued down the "leaves" and coated the entire thing in 4 coats of modge podge.

After it dried, I stood there thinking I HATE THIS! It needed something more. Honey Bunny suggested grass, a bunny, and an attacking fox. Hmmm.
No pictures of the next painting process because I thought the project was scrapped and I could not make it any worse.
I took black and started adding details. I was channeling my inner Bob Ross. A happy little knot here and a slight touch of shadow there. It went over the modge podge surface with no problem!

Tada! I saved the project! Still not 100% in love with it. ..

12 comments:

  1. This is a great idea. I like the look of the cut snowflakes as leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are fantastic. I love playing with Mod..that stuff is fun. See you next week...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Mod Podge! And yet again you leave me wishing I had a Cricut or Silhouette machine so I could make a cool project like this...now I'll have to think of another way to do something similar... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this is amazing! I bought some craft paper... I need to get to work on something like this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, wow!! What an incredibly detailed and intricate piece. :) Love how you wound "Peace" into the tree's roots. A great use of your Cricut, for sure. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it!! Love that peace sign snow flake!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it!!! Such a wonderful...and unique idea. It turned out to be BEAUTIFUL!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Visiting from Eisy Morgan. This is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow this is super cute too! Geez!! I live in France, do you think they have hodge podge glue here? I am not sure, but I will for sure be looking! or if you know of an alternative, that would be great! Cute projects!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely beautiful! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so gorgeous! I'm definitely going to try this myself.

    ReplyDelete